Unemployment benefit

, a

ccident insurance a

nd pensions

Unemployment benefit

You cannot receive unemployment benefit while you are studying. Only doctoral students who have finished their studies can receive benefit. But you do not have to wait until you have defended your thesis, once you have submitted it for printing you are considered to have completed the programme.

If you haven't progressed that far in your studies, you have to quit your studies permanently — i.e. deregister from your higher education institution — to get unemployment benefit. You must submit a certificate to say that you have terminated your third-cycle studies and do not intend to resume them again.


  • If before becoming unemployed you have been working full-time in combination with full-time study permanently, you may continue these studies subject to certain conditions.
  • After applying to an unemployment fund ('A-kassa') you may continue part-time studies subject to certain conditions. Generally approval is only given for part-time study in short courses.

Reliable and detailed information about the requirements for unemployment benefit can be found on Arbetsförmedlingens website (Swedish Public Employment Service's web-site).

AEA (new window) »
Swedish Public Employment Service's web-site (new window) »

People who have been employed on a doctoral studentship, or who have had another state job, or been employed at Jönköping University or Chalmers University of Technology may, in some circumstances, be covered by the state's job security agreement, which means you can receive extra support when, for example, unemployed, from Trygghetsstiftelsen (the Job Security Foundation).

Accident insurance

All students at higher education institutions accountable to the Government are covered against personal injury caused by accidents related to their studies. If you are employed on a doctoral studentship you enjoy the same security as other government employees.


In the new system, retirement pensions are based on your income over your entire working life. Long periods of study with low incomes may mean that your pension is lower — which can in the future affect many doctoral students. But a low income during the first few years of your career can of course be compensated by a higher income later on.

One guideline according to SULF is that your pension will be just over two per cent less for each year you have student finance from CSN or a scholarship instead of paid employment.

Last updated: 2014-08-13
UHR logo
Swedish Council for Higher Education www.uhr.se, Box 45093, SE-104 30 Stockholm
Phone: +46 10 470 03 00, Email: To the contact form